It is one of the most historic cities of Albania. It is located at a distance from the capital, only 32 km away. The name and importance of Kruja is related to the 25-year-old work and activity of our national hero, Gjergj Kastrioti (Skanderbeg) who during the middle ages of the 16th century transformed Kruja and its castle into an infinite point of resistance to Osman’s danger and making it famous and famous in all of Europe’s diplomatic chancellery.
The name of Kruja comes from the Albanian word “krua”. In the Byzantine period it is referred to as a Bishopric center. About 1190 there was the first Albanian feudal state. Later it passed under the rule of the Albanian feudal Albanian family of Topia. The first Ottoman occupation occurred in 1396 but they pulled for 20 years. In 1430, she returned to the center of Albanian domination led by Gjon Kastrioti, Skanderbeg’s father.
The most glorious period begins on November 28, 1443, when the Kruja fortress was taken under the control of Gjergj Kastrioti, who organized the long anti-Ottoman resistance. From that period Kruja under Skanderbeg’s leadership broke its three enclosures from Ottomans in 1450, 1457, and 1466.
Only ten years after the death of Skanderbeg in 1478, the Ottomans invaded the castle and destroyed the city. They called Kruja Akcahisar (white fort). The share of the population that remained in Muslims. Today, the city rises on the slope of Mount Kruja at an altitude of about 600 meters above sea level, having a panoramic view. From the town of Kruja is clearly seen the Adriatic Sea.